Our entrepreneurs come from diverse backgrounds and are working hard to make their business ideas a reality — whether they want to be their own boss, invent something new, make money, or make a difference in the world.
Whether or not they’ve gone to college, whether or not they have to work other jobs on the side — all of our entrepreneurs are chasing their dreams.
- Ages 18 to 29
- Passionate, motivated
- Low-income (HUD)
- Nearly 2/3 female
- 80%+ are people of color
- Also immigrants, LGBTQ, post systems-involved youths, & other underrepresented groups
- Small businesses (e.g. many different kinds of services, food, clothing etc.)
- Mostly in “Prepare” and “Launch” stages of business
OUR THEORY OF CHANGE
When our advisors & mentors share their time and talents with our young entrepreneurs, they’re helping make dreams — and new businesses — a reality.
- Real world business experience
- Professionals & subject-matter experts, ranging from business planning to technology, legal, and accounting
- Mentorship, leadership, coaching experience
- Small business ownership /management
- Startup experience
- Typically in 30s to 60s, but a wide age range
- Bay Area is highest concentration, but can live anywhere in the U.S.
- Truly interested in helping others
- High emotional intelligence
- Great listeners
- Strong communicators
- Relationship builders
- Questioners, not tellers
- High energy