Congratulations, you’ve been matched! In some cases, an entrepreneur may have a question that can be addressed in one session. However, in many cases, the entrepreneur’s request will require more than one working session.
Before your first meeting:
If you are an entrepreneur:
1. Please review our Entrepreneur Orientation!
2. Review the advisor/mentor’s Skysthelimit.org profile and LinkedIn profile in order to get a sense of their background.
3. Be ready to clearly describe where you are in your business and specifically what needs you are hoping to address with this advisor or mentor.
If you are an advisor or mentor:
1. Please review our Volunteer Orientation.
2. Review the Entrepreneur’s skysthelimit.org profile and Business Plan prior to the call.
During your first meeting:
1. Start by getting to know one another – ask each other a question or two about what you learned in their profile, about their business, or even about how their day is going!
2. Then focus on the business need. Take the time to talk about where the entrepreneur’s business is currently and what the overall vision is, for their business. Then discuss the request for help and make sure the advisor/mentor clearly understands what is being requested.
3. If appropriate, resolve the entrepreneur’s questions during the call.
4. If the request will take more than one conversation: Clarify specifically what the goal of the next call or meeting will be. Determine what (if anything) either the entrepreneur or the advisor/mentor needs to do in preparation for the next meeting. Agree on a meeting time and location for the next meeting.
After any meeting:
1. As a courtesy, we strongly suggest that you follow up from the meeting by text or email to confirm any follow-up meetings and acknowledge the time you spent together with “Thank you” or “Nice meeting you”!
2. Confirm any additional meetings 2-3 days beforehand to avoid potential confusion or frustration with canceled or missed meetings.